CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Because I know that you care what's on my iPod

What music am I listening to these days? Well, I'm glad you asked. My iPod is actually touring Europe, so I'm sure it's filled with what I call "I'm going to scream and ride on my skateboard" music (aka Panic at the Disco, Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, Emo-screamo, jr. high punky spiky haired jump up and down 'music') which is not anywhere near my taste in music, but whatever. I know that my iPod will be returned in it's original musical state when it returns to its original United State, so no worries here.

But since my beloved iPod is across the pond, I have to resort to CD's in my jeep. Up until six weeks ago, this was no big deal. But then soon after I got my jeep, my dad pointed out the "AUX" port, in which I can plug in my iPod. The result? Endless music selection AND no more CD clutter. It's a win-win. And now that I'm going without the iPod, I really miss it.

So in order to reduce the disc collection on my front passenger seat, I have limited myself to only a few CDs that will fit into the little side compartment on the door. This means CD rotation and trying to predict the mood of my music for the day: not an easy task. I might want to hear Metallica on my way TO work, and KC and the Sunshine band on the way HOME. And who knows when a random country music bug might bite?! The obvious answer: the mixed tape. Little bit of everything all wrapped up in one tidy little disc. (Mixed tape sounds better than mixed CD, right?)

I have to say, I pride myself on my mix tape abilities. I've been mixing for years. And there's a science to making the perfect mix tape, and I've got it down. Just the other day, Joe found an ancient mix that I made (an actual cassette tape!) called the "412-6 party mix". After a minute I deciphered the title --it's really cryptic-- my first apartment was 412 Perrin St., Apartment 6. And it was a tape made for a party. What can I say, I waste all my creative energy on the music, not the title.
And I even remember the actual party the tape was created for...complete with "Brass Monkey" and some random hip hop that I'm sure I got from my roommate.

Where was I....oh yeah, you want to know what's in my car. This week's selection? Aside from the couple of mixed Cd's I burned (one called "summer 2008". Brilliant, no?) There's the new Kid Rock album- if you like his new song, buy the album. It's awesome. And then there's the new Jason Mraz-- also awesome. And a band I discovered buried deep inside iTunes, called the Submarines. And last, but definitely not least-- in fact probably most important-- is the Raffi CD, featuring "Baby Beluga". I don't know what it is about Raffi, but his voice and that stupid song about a whale can calm my baby in 2 seconds flat, from a complete screaming fit to total peacefulness. I adore Raffi. His CD has a permanent place in my jeep. I wonder if he's available for part time babysitting in the fall????

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As thrilled as I am to finally know all about your musical tastes, you have managed to reinforce that I am officially OTH (over the hill). Not only do I not have an iPod, although my car has one of those thingies, too, and I still don't know how to mix a cd, but the only music mentioned that I would ever listen to is KC, if it happened to come on the oldies station(s) programmed on my radio.

A Fresh Wind Children's Ministry said...

Oh my goodness! I TOTALLY remember the Lori mix tapes. I think you even helped me make one at your house long ago. I'm pretty sure it included Ace of Base and the Eagles. Yes, a little random, but that's the beauty of a mix tape, no?!?! I still think of you when I hear Ace of Base...and incidentally, I hear it a lot here.