CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Beating the Heat

Lisa has a new work schedule....which, if she ever wrote on her blog, she'd probably tell you about it herself...but anyway, she's doing 4 ten-hour days as a gas conservation kind of deal. So that leaves her with a three day weekend (Fridays off!). I don't work Fridays, Joe's off for the summer, and John's school schedule is online so it's all flexible. So the four of us, plus Quinn, all spent our free Friday together and went ice skating in Columbus, followed by lunch at Chili's and back to Lisa and John's house for a couple hours of Wii games. (that's a video game system, just in case you didn't know....and it's awesome.) Even Quinn played the snowboarding and I'm pretty sure he wasn't the lowest score on that one. I won't say who was, but it wasn't me or Lisa or John...

The skating was fun; I haven't been since high school, so the first trip around the ice was slowwwww.....but after one round I got faster each lap, and if I just told myself I was rollerblading, I did fine. No one fell down, so it was a successful trip. And to add to the entertainment, there were 3 guys there, who obviously come in for the Friday open skate every week--but not together--all of various skill levels. They each brought their own figure skates and showed off their moves. OK, only one of the three had actual moves- he did some pretty impressive jumps and twirls and ice dancing (it looked like the River Dance, but on ice). The other two were no where near his skill level, but still funny---er, fun--- to watch.
Here's a couple photos from the rink. The lighting was crappy so the pictures didn't turn out very well, but I don't really care.
Here's Lisa and Quinn in the waiting area. She and I took turns skating/sitting with him.


Lisa, John, and Joe on the ice. You can see one of the "figure skaters" in the background.



And John helping Quinn with his first video game experience. I have a feeling I'll be seeing the two of them in front of the TV like this a lot in the future....


In other news, I've got this weird summer sickness going on. I don't know what it is. In fact, the doctor at Urgent Care said (and you have to imagine this in his Indian accent, it just makes it funnier): "I don't know what's wrong with you. Here's a Z-pack, hope you feel better. Goodbye." Awesome, no? So while I'm definitely feeling somewhat better each day, it's hanging on longer than I'd like. I have dubbed it "mini mono". I imagine that if you took what I have and multiplied it by 6 weeks or so, it must be somewhat similar to what dad's feeling. No...Probably not. But I have some serious sympathy for him right now- three days of being couch-bound and watching TV and not doing anything else has fried my brain. I can't imagine how much cabin fever he must have right now!!!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for updating me on Lisa. Next maybe you can do Kara's blogging. Skating - fun idea. Yes, I know what Wii is, but I don't know what a z-pack is. Sorry you're not feeling well and hope you start feeling better soon.

Anonymous said...

I, too, thank you for updating us on Lisa, as she fails at blogging. Hahaha. I say this and I do not have a blog of my own.

Secondly, I have every other Friday off due to our summer flex schedule at work! That rocks!

:)

Anonymous said...

you know, a z-pack...that 5 day antibiotic. It rocks. :)
Around here they call it a z pack.

Brenda said...

man I hate it when you're sick and they can't figure it out so they just call it a "virus"...I had one of those the summer I met scott and was miserable. Go Z-packs!
BTW..Carsyn loves quinn...she talks about him all the time and loves to see his pictures!

Anonymous said...

I know you'll call me "Grandma F." for saying this, but Regis took a Z Pack over Spring break and it didn't help him get well.... and if it's not good for Reg, it can't be good enough for you : )
p.s. Did I tell you that she (Rochelle) drinks/chugs Monster drinks now? Yeah, she rocks out.

Jill said...

I have every Friday off right now... and Monday, Tuesday... etc. Love it. I just saw the video of Quinn and John and it was adorable!

Julie said...

sorry you're not feeling well. It sucks to be sick in the summer! Brenden likes your intro to your blog "this is my blog. read it." The boys love playing Wii too. It's awesome!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info. Guess I'm glad we haven't had to find out about that z-pack.

Anonymous said...

Oh, ice skating in June. Brought back memories of our "fake skate" in Texas--only there EVERYONE fell. Thanks for the update on Lisa--I too have been wondering when she would be done "at the movies" and Kara done "finishing her blog". I know you have other things ladies, but some of us live for your updates. PLEASE!!! Aunt Jenni

Anonymous said...

You know, if I'm not mistaken, you didn't fall down in High School either. I wish I could say the same thing for me!!!
I hope you start feeling better. I just found out my dad won a Wii at work. Guess what I'll be doing on my vacation??!!!!!