CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, September 02, 2006

Envelope or "Ahnvelope"?

Let's talk some more about these regional differences.
Words, or even actions, differ from place to place. I found a lot of funny little things just between living in Michigan vs. Ohio.

In the south, they say "coke" for a Sprite; in the Midwest it's "pop"; up north it's "soda".

In Ohio we measure distance by the time it takes to travel there (an hour away!)In Michigan, we measured distance by....well, distance! (60 miles away).

Our generation says couch, the previous generation apparantly said davenport.

(And I don't really know WHAT a clothespress is, but if I had to guess, I'd say it's an iron??? Or is it close press>? Hmmm....)

Even from decade to decade, it's different: I was watching 90210 the other day, and they said David "flunked" a test. (Oh no!)
There's a word we don't use anymore. Now,it's "fail". Actually, most kids have a IEP, so they can't even do that anymore....

And how do you pronounce "envelope"?

Any other fun examples of this?

5 comments:

Jill said...

I notice people eat "dinner" more than they eat "supper" in Texas. And then there's the ones mentioned in the previous post... fixin' to and house shoes! No clue on the clothespress... if you find out, fill me in! :)

Anonymous said...

You all have clothes presses, you just think they are bedroom or hall closets!Growing up with Grandma Davis,you put your clothes, shoes, and coats in the clothes press. Right, Nancy? Speaking of Grandma Davis, she has always had a way with words and phrases, which often came in handy for me at school. While other kids were wondering what unusual phrases in our literature meant, I just had to recall how your grandmother used the words... for example:being "half past eight" means you are crazy. Give Nancy and I a few minutes together and I am sure we could make quite a list!
Mom

Amy Covey said...

Yea - I knew what a clothespress was! :) Here's another one for you...what do you call the strip of grass between the sidewalk and street? In Stow it was called a devil's strip (no clue why) but here in VW it's called a "tree lawn". And other places have no name for it at all. Strange. Oh...and how do you say "wash" - that's definitely a pronunciation I've noticed big differences between in NE Ohio and NW Ohio. Dinner/supper is another big one. I always say "exuse me?" or "pardon me?" when someone says something and I don't quite catch the whole thing, but my college roommate always said "Please?". I always wanted to say "Please what?". I never got that one.

Brenda said...

ok, pardon the typing because payton's on my lap so it's one hand.
don't even get me started!!!
1. in tx they use the term yankee all the time and it is practically profanity.
2. y'all, not you guys
3. fixin to
4. there's y'all and even more is all y'all
5, farm talk- tank, not pond
6. bar ditch is along some roads, mostly we don't have ditches!
7. crayons is actually pronounced cray-ons
8. house shoes, not slippers, are acceptable in public
9. so, where do you stay? means where do you live
10. what do you lack? instead of how much more until you're done?
11. no shopping plazas
lots of yes/no m'am/sir

that's all for now

A said...

Auh-nt or ant for "aunt"? Peeps here in VA use the first way. Me being from MI say ant.